21 September 2016

MLA 8 for Image Citation

All following information is copied from MLA8th edition EasyBib

Digital images are pictures that can be viewed electronically by a computer or digital device. They can include photographs, illustrations, or graphics found on a website, database, or scanned or saved to your computer.
"Citation needed"

How to cite a digital image found on a website in MLA 8:

To create a citation for a digital image found on a website in MLA 8, locate the following pieces of information:

  • The name of the creator of the digital image
  • *The title of the digital image
  • The title of the website that the image was found on
  • The names of any other contributors responsible for the digital image
  • Version of the image (if applicable)
  • Any numbers associated with the image (if applicable)
  • *The publisher of the image
  • The date the image was created or published
  • *The location of the image, such as a URL

*Notes:
*If the digital image does not have a title, include a description of the image. Do not place this information in quotation marks or italics.

*If the picture was found using Google Images, do not cite Google Images as the publisher. Instead, click on the picture and use the information from the website that is hosting the picture.

*When including the URL in the citation, omit “http://” and “https://” from the site’s address. In addition, if the citation will be viewed on a digital device, it is helpful to make it clickable. This ensures that readers will be able to easily access and view the source themselves.


Structure of a citation for an image found on a website in MLA 8:


Creator’s Last name, First name. “Title of the digital image.” Title of the website, First name Last name of any contributors, Version (if applicable), Number (if applicable), Publisher, Publication date, URL.

Examples of citations for digital images found on websites in MLA 8:


Vasquez, Gary A. Photograph of Coach K with Team USA. NBC Olympics,USA Today Sports, 5 Aug. 2016, www.nbcolympics.com/news/rio-olympics-coach-ks-toughest-test-or-lasting-legacy.

Gilpin, Laura. “Terraced Houses, Acoma Pueblo, New Mexico.” Library of Congress, Reproduction no. LC-USZ62-102170, 1939, www.loc.gov/pictures/item/90716883/

13 comments:

  1. This is very helpful, I look forward to using this while doing a assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! Citations are always hard for me, making pictures even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This information will help me when I am working on the research project. This way I don't have to hunt through that long file every time I want to know how to cite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this version of explaining citing others work is very helpful. It breaks it down into section and explains all the important things you need in order to make a citation. I love how it gives you examples that you can look at if you don't know what something means or if you are confused about how it is suppose to look. This blog really helped me understand how to cite my sources and I think more people should use this to learn too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how it has examples included. It shows me what the picture citations need to look like, which really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information I don't really like doing citations, probably due to the fact that I forget how to do MLA. But thx none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for postibg this. It really helped me. I'm terribly at citing, but this helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very helpful. I know I'm going to be using this a lot this year and the next upcoming years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is helpful for me. I have always have a hard time with citing. Also I know I am going to have to use this in my upcoming years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be sure to come back to this post when citing my sources! Thank you for explaining MLA 8 citation format.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for furthering your explanation for this, it makes a lot more sense to me now and I'm able to understand this is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for helping me understand MLA citations better. I will be using this a lot for my high school career.

    ReplyDelete